Skip to main content

Home

Hi All.

We are home. It has taken me a long time to get back to the blog, and for that- I apologize. There hasn't been  a whole lot of time around here lately! But tonight, I am trying to keep my eyes open and this seems like a good way to meet that goal.

WE FINALLY BROUGHT SLOANE HOME! Sloane obviously has some complex medical needs, and while Eric and I extensively trained at the hospital, we have to be able to get some relief sometimes with the type of care Sloane requires around the clock. Many facilities make you have 24/7 nursing care before a release date can be set by the
hospital. Colorado is not one of these states, but they definitely want to make sure you will be successful once you are out of a hospital setting.  It quickly became apparent to me that with the nursing shortage in Denver, we wouldn't be getting 24/7 care at home anytime soon. We decided to make the executive decision to bring her home without full coverage shortly after hearing that a child down the hall from us, in the Pulmonary wing, had been waiting 14 months to have full staff on for him. NO THANKS. Things actually went rather quickly after deciding this; Eric and I took every class that was suggested or required and passed our tests with flying colors, and were approved to take her home.  I felt like I was pretty obnoxious with our nursing agency about getting nursing in our home, BUT- we are home now, and we have three days a week currently and we have a night nurse starting in June. Yay!


Sloane is doing excellent at home. Our first night, we went on a walk, and while she didn't tolerate it great, we are amping her tolerance levels up slowly and she's doing great now. She has scared us multiple times already... we have been home two weeks and we have had blood coming out of the trach site... green mucous at the trach site... a fever...and she pulled out her g tube last weekend. Just to show you a semblance of our lfie so far.  I think our baby likes to keep us on her toes. Everything she's thrown at us we have been able to handle so far, but her tenacity and propensity for keeping things lively is not lost on me.

Right now, I am busy with appointments multiple times a week. To give you guys a taste of what we are working with, these are the doctors I regularly meet with:

PEDIATRICIAN
AUDIOLOGY
OPTOMETRY
NUTRITION
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
SPEECH THERAPY
PHYSICAL THERAPY
ENT
CRANIOFACIAL CLINIC
PULMONARY CLINIC
MICROTIA CLINIC
PLASTIC SURGERY
SIGN LANGUAGE

Oh, did you read down that list and notice we don't have just a regular therapist? For me? Yeah, I probably need one. BUT AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.

Currently: the biggest hurdle we are fighting is getting enough sleep. Eric and I have been both attempting to get 5 hours a piece. Ou current schedule:

5:45 AM: Eric goes to work
5:40 AM: Tiffany wakes up, begins Sloane's routine.
7 AM Aiden wakes up
(DAY ACTIVITIES- we are limited by what the nurses feel like doing; I am limited in my ability to eascpae on the days when i am alone, because Sloane legally can't be in the backseat by herself.
5 PM: nightly cares
6 PM: Dinner as a family
8PM Eric and Aiden in bed; Sloane sleeping
8PM-2:00 AM Tiffany pulls shift with the baby
2:00 AM-5:45/6 Eric is with Sloane/ Tiffany is sleeping

THEN WE BEGIN AGAIN.

My life is currently a little bit like ground hog day. It just keeps going- with the same randomness- no matter how motivated I am to have change. Today we went for a long walk with our nurse and while it was so nice... now I am sore and a little more tired, so I am skeptical this was a good choice?

Other updates for our little family:

Sloane is growing well now, and she just hit 8 lbs.

We got to meet a WONDERFUL  mom- Justine- and her daughter, Quinn- the most beautiful little girl- who has Treacher Collins Syndrome. I don't think she will ever understand the hope and grace she gave us by meeting up with us. They met up with us the night that Quinn was officially de-cannulated. Quinn exemplified every hope we have for Sloane: she was spunky, full of life, beautiful, and unique. I LOVED watching Aiden play with her, and it just made me KNOW that someday, we will be able to move past 100,000 fears and just let Sloane be Sloane. It really calmed me to, to see Aiden so loving and accepting around someone different than himself. In the car on the way home, he said, "Mom, Quinn had little ears like our baby." I said, "yes- she did. Did  you notice anything else about Quinn?" He thought for a minute and said, "Well, she didn't say any words but she was much tougher than me. I think she could probably beat me up even though she was smaller than me." I just laughed and laughed. With what these kids have to get through at such a young age, they are given the power to fight! I really believe that.

Aiden turned 4! And had his birthday wish come true of having a big party at his own house!

Aiden graduated from 3-year-old preschool, and will beginning school in the fall at Ms. Rhonda's...which  he and I are both stoked about.

Mom and Sis are still with us; and we are grateful for them everyday. It is hard to believe that they have lived with us almost 8 months now. It's harder to believe that my dad has been gone for 6 months tomorrow.

Thanks for following. We are just really learning how to live again. Literally for the last 14 months, my family has been surviving in emergency mode. We will learn to live again, and we are taking the first steps in that direction. It's taking us time to understand our own limitations, strengths, and weaknesses.

Thank you for your positive thoughts, continual prayers, and the hope you give us every day!




















Comments

  1. I loved reading this update and we pray for you everyday as a family. Someday Sloane will be a Quinn for someone and you and Eric will be the hope and help a mom and dad need desperately. 💗💗💗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Sloane - Our Story

Many of you know that the last several years have not been particularly easy for us. Eric and I went through several years waiting to get pregnant, as I sustained several long-term health problems after Aiden's birth. After spending most of the summer in Mount Shasta, CA helping out my dad's Lymphoma treatments, Eric and I were reunited in July and we found out shortly thereafter -the end of August- that I was pregnant. We were behind overjoyed and Aiden was SO excited to be a BIG brother!  What we didn’t know: This pregnancy was complicated from the get-go. During the months of my pregnancy we battled not only emotional battles (as we stood by my Dad’s side through his battle with Lymphoma, and was at his side as he passed away quietly in January) but also, this pregnancy was  physically very difficult for me. I had high blood pressure, protein in my urine, and conflicting  lab results for my doctors.  We knew something may have been really off when, at m

Day 5: Tiffany’s perspective and Sloane Updates

Sloane Day 5. Coming from Tiff:  We apologize for taking our time with updates. Now that things are settling a bit at home and in the hospital with Sloane, hopefully we will find a somewhat normal routine.  I got released last night from the maternal fetal wing of the hospital. One thing we are noticing and really liking about Colorado Children’s hospital is that everyone seems to be extremely loving and accommodating, and we were able to really move at our own pace for my discharge. We really appreciate this as everything has been such a whirlwind for us. It’s still mind blowing that it’s been less than two weeks since we learned that we would need to even be working with Children’s at all. Last night was very odd. I feel like it goes against everything in nature to have a baby, and then leave your baby in the NICU to go home. We both were glad to be back in our own bed but it also was really disconcerting. They did do a room change for Sloane after I got discharged, and now we are in

For my Sloanie Girl

My beautiful girl, Today was a hard day. This morning, at 2 am- you cried so hard and I didn't know how to comfort you. We had a rough week, and tonight was harder. I am wracked with needing sleep. I am realizing that for me, the night leading to Friday may be the hardest. I am so close to getting at least 5 hours of sleep- I can taste it. Because dad doesn't work Saturdays, I can go to bed after my 2:30 am shift end, and sleep until I wake up (Your brother is pretty good at sleeping in, so long as I am holding him). Last night was different. You were fussy- which honestly isn't you. You are curious, wide-eyed, and sweetly sleepy, or alert and interested. I knew something was wrong. I changed you diaper at 2, and I saw the source of your discomfort. There was blood in your diaper and your g-tube. All I could think was, "Why can't these things happen when we have a nurse here? Why is this only happening at 2 am when I am beyond sleep deprived, and why- after e